I can remember only a handful of my teachers from school. Most of my memories of my teachers are unremarkable except for one. That pivotal year of fifth grade--when one is moving from elementary school onward to high school--was the year I can never forget.
We didn’t have middle school as a transition from elementary to high school. Some of us had Miss Henderson, a Girl Scout role model in the best sense of the word, while others of us had an ex-Marine, Mr. Shell. I’m not sure how class rolls were determined, but after the first week of school, I knew I had drawn an unlucky lottery ticket.
Every morning after the pledge of allegiance, Mr. Shell had us stand next to our fixed desks and do jumping jacks and march around the room while singing:
"Give me some men who are stout-hearted men
Who will fight for the right they adore.
Start me with ten who are stout-hearted men,
And I'll soon give you ten thousand more.
Oh, shoulder to shoulder, and bolder and bolder…”
In elementary school, I understood that the word “stout” meant heavy-set, heavily built, even fat--especially when referring to females. Marching around the room in my dress, pigtails, and brown shoes was my first encounter with another meaning of “stout”-- brave, courageous, bold, etc. This meaning of “stout” explicitly suggested what I already suspected: I should be tougher. Although I knew this would help me “stand on my own two feet,” I wasn’t there.
70 years ago, Mr. Schell unintentionally introduced me to characteristics that people need: self-reliance and resilience. Just as females need to be brave, courageous and bold, males need the female characteristics of listening, nurturing, and empathy, but that wasn’t demonstrated by him.
I felt intimidated by Mr. Shell. Perhaps it began when I walked into class with my first pair of glasses. He was quick to greet me with, “Well, hello, four-eyes!” Some boys were sporting horn-rims, but I was the only girl in the class with such an obvious deficit in need of remediation.
As the year progressed, I grew more disdainful of Mr. Shell; I just couldn’t get used to him. One day, when my questions about how to convert fractions into percentages weren't answered, I lost it. And, I chose a fifth grade gesture of sticking my tongue out at him. Since Mr. Shell usually sat in the front of the room with his head riveted on the papers he was correcting, I wasn’t expecting him to see me. My timing was off. Consequently, he walked me to the library to wait and sit unattended to imagine what punishment would be meted out at the end of the day.
Would it be 100 push-ups? Running around the school outside multiple times until I fell and dragged myself to the finish? Boot camp in full view of my peers? Surely, it would be a Marine-worthy feat. Something that a stout-hearted fifth grader should endure to make her tougher.
Despite Mr. Shell’s effort, I didn’t develop any courage or bravery that year. From then on, I just kept my head down to survive and get through the year.

I wish you would have had a better fifth grade year. 😊
ReplyDeleteDo you remember your punishment?
No. But, waiting was hell.
DeleteFriends--I would be interested to read your comments. Jan
ReplyDeleteI hate Mr. Shell and I'm sorry you had him for your fifth-grade teacher. Nice story though.
ReplyDeletedang...you didn't tell us what the punishment was! very engaging story Jan. I can just picture you in your prim little dress, brown Mary Jane's, pigtales and big glasses. nowadays you would be considered unique and oh, so quirky I believe. hopefully your peers appreciated you. I too got sassy with a male teacher ...in 8th grade...that I had little respect for. his punishment was a poor mark in citizenship, which I hastily disguised by stapling all my individual report forms together. my parents never commented so I'm unsure they noticed but I certainly learned my lesson....head down mouth shut for the remainder of the school year. oh the power teachers wield!
ReplyDeleteJan, after grades k-4 with gentle and kind female teachers (Miss Compass in particular) Mr. Shell was truly a wake up call in old CHS. Your memories are spot on!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy fifth grade year was also an "unlucky lottery ticket" year. The details were different, but the sour memory still remains. However, it did give me an opportunity to learn what NOT to do, as a teacher. I often found myself, during my classroom teaching years, purposely doing the opposite of what I had experienced in that year. I wonder, given your courage and bravery clearly evident in your elderhood, if you may have learned more than you realized about those important qualities?
ReplyDeleteWhat was your punishment?!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWaiting in the library was hell....I think that was the punishment.
Delete