On Learning Danger

 One of the joys of growing up in a small town and pastoral-like environment, was the freedom I felt.  After I turned eight years old, we lived in a brick house on Sibley Road that my dad built with the help of his dad.  Dad purchased the land from Lou Vogel when he sold off some of his farm.  This meant that we could see the fields around us in changing colors of bloom and decay. 


I had a friend, Kay,  who was one week younger than me, who lived about a quarter mile away, and for some reason we thought we’d ride seven miles out to Cavanaugh Lake on a hot summer day to swim at the beach with no lifeguard.  I told you it was a moment of freedom and low fear of risks--even by parents. ( Now I wonder what they were thinking! ) 


Of course, we had to ride back to our homes, and the last few miles, we took the gravel road that connected  to where we lived.  About six miles into the trek,  I needed to pee.  And, peeing outside was not new to me.  So, we pulled over to the side of the road into the browning grass of August not too far from my house.  Apparently, I couldn’t wait as things were urgent.  Kay stood by while I squatted in the somewhat prickly place, and just as I relieved myself, I heard a rustle.  I had disturbed a large garter snake from its late afternoon nap in the sun.  Even though garter snakes are not harmful, they do not like to be disturbed!  I jumped up, slightly wet, and we rode fast and silently to our nearby homes.


I don’t think I told my mother.  She might have noted that the world was filled with dangers.

  


3 comments:

  1. Yup...those earned snakes dislike being sprayed while they are sunbathing! It spoils their tan!😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere an 80 year old garter snake is telling a story of the indignities of trying to get a little sun on a late summer afternoon.

    ReplyDelete